Manager of Systems Engineering - Burlington MA - $140K-$160K (total comp)
For a team of three engineers and one technical lead (this position):
Provide technical leadership to a team of 3 engineers, each is a SME in a particular discipline (Windows, Database, and Storage). Set quality standards for the team. Take a hands-on role in engineering, incident response, and daily operations
- Maintain a high level of availability (and recoverability) for existing services. Ensure that all configuration changes and planned outages are routed through our change management process. Collaborate with the IT Ops manager to ensure off-hours coverage is in place for tier one services
- Be a visible point of contact/escalation for issues relating to the servers, storage, and application infrastructure. Handle requests from customers, developers, vendors. Make key operational data openly available to other teams within IT.
- Ensure that our management and measurement systems are used, maintained, and augmented: --ticketing (100% of work hours are coded by cost center and type of task)
- --assetand service management
- --configuration management database and process library/wiki
Use the department’s lightweight project methodology to:
--- Estimate the financial impact of all initiatives
---Limit the number and duration of simultaneously open projects
---Manage to deadlines (minimize “fire drill” distraction).
---Predict operational impacts of a project; new tasks, required skills, etc.
Technical Skills Required
Windows, Active Directory, Virtualization (VM or Hyper-V), Storage (Dell, NetApp), Networking, Microsoft Technologies (IIS, SQL, Windows)